Monday, September 21, 2009

GREEN SMOOTHIE

So, I have been making smoothies for a long time, but mostly blueberry based ones. One of my newest obsessions is the Vita-Mix Blender. I realize that with the price tag, I won't be buying one anytime soon. I am stuck using my boring old blender that is so slow, you could blend faster by using a hand blade! Needless to say, it does get the job done...within an hour (haha)!!!  Today, I decided to start our journey to a healthier smoothie by making it green (as in spinach-green)!  Here is the original recipe and some notes.

TROPICAL GREEN SMOOTHIE

*1 c. green grapes
*1 c. baby spinach leaves
*6 oz. vanilla yogurt
*1 frozen banana, cut in chunks
*1/2 c. frozen pineapple chunks

Place frozen fruit in blender first.
Add other ingredients.
Blend until smooth.
Enjoy!

NOTES...

*I used organic grapes and spinach, as they are on the top ten list of fruits and veggies that contain the most pesticides.
*I used organic yogurt because, besides being better, it also tastes better!
*I washed the spinch and squeezed the water out, but if you see green, then stop because you are also squeezing the vitamins out!
*I added flax seeds, but it's up to you!
*I don't measure anymore. I go with the flow and taste as I go.
*Make your own adjustments!





The kids each devoured 2 cups and are you wondering about me?
Me? The spinach LOVER? Well, it didn't taste right, but to be fair, nothing tasted right today because I am coming down with a cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment